Unit Seven
第七单元
Text
课文
A young man finds it very difficult to say no to a woman and as a result he gets into trouble.
一位年轻人发现对一个妇女说不太难了,结果他陷入困境。
The restaurant to which he has agreed to take his luncheon date is far too expensive for his small pocketbook.
他同意去履行他的午餐约会的那个餐馆对于他的小口袋来说真是太贵了。
How, then,
然而。
will he be able to avoid the embarrassing situation?
他将能避免那个尴尬的情景吗?
THE LUNCHEON
午餐
I caught sight of her at the play,
我是在看戏的时候见到她的。
and in answer to her beckoning I went over during the interval and sat down beside her.
幕间休息时,我应她的招呼走了过去,在她旁边坐下。
It was long since I had last seen her,
我上次见到她已是很久以前的事了。
and if someone had not mentioned her name I hardly think I would have recognised her.
要不是有人提起她的名字,我想我几乎会认不出她来。
She addressed me brightly.
她兴致勃勃跟我谈了起来。
"Well, it's many years since we first met.
“瞧,自从我们初次相见已经好多年了。
How time does fly!
真是光阴似箭啊!
We're none of us getting any younger.
我俩都不年轻啦。
Do you remember the first time I saw you?
你还记得我初次见到你吗?
You asked me to luncheon."
你请我吃的午餐。”
Did I remember?
我能不记得吗?
It was twenty years ago and I was living in Paris.
那是20年前的事了,当时我住在巴黎。
I had a tiny apartment in the Latin Quarter overlooking a cemetery,
我在拉丁区租了一套小小的房间,从那里往下看去是一个公墓。
and I was earning barely enough money to keep body and soul together.
我挣的钱只够勉强维持生活。
She had read a book of mine and had written to me about it.
她读过我的一本书,并曾跟我写信谈论该书。
I answered, thanking her,
我回信向她致谢。
and presently I received from her another letter saying that she was passing through Paris and would like to have a chat with me;
随即我又收到她的一封信,说她路过巴黎,想跟我谈谈。
but her time was limited, and the only free moment she had was on the following Thursday ;
但她的时间有限,只有下个星期四有空。
she was spending the morning at the Luxembourg and would I give her a little luncheon at Foyot's afterwards?
那天上午,她要去卢森堡宫,问我是不是愿意中午请她在福伊约餐厅吃顿便饭。
Foyot's is a restaurant at which the French senators eat,
福伊约餐厅是法国参议员光顾的地方,
and it was so far beyond my means that I had never even thought of going there.
去那儿吃饭远远超过我的经济能力,所以以前连想都能没有想过。
But I was flattered,
但我当时受宠若惊,
and I was too young to have learned to say no to a woman.
况且年级太轻,还没有学会对一位女士说个“不”字。
(Few men, I may add,
(附带说一句,没有几个男人
learn this until they are too old to make it of any consequence to a woman what they say.)
学会这一招,而到他们学会时,往往年事已高,他们说什么对女人来讲已经无足轻重了。)
I had eighty francs (gold francs) to last me the rest of the month,
我当月的生活费还有90法郎(金法郎),
and a modest luncheon should not cost more than fifteen.
一顿便餐花不了15法郎。
If I cut out coffee for the next two weeks I could manage well enough.
如果我下两个星期不喝咖啡,还是满可以对付过去的。
I answered that I would meet my friend-
我回信说,我将会见我的朋友,
by correspondence-
将于
at Foyot's on Thursday at half past twelve.
下星期四十二点半在福伊约餐厅。
She was not so young as I expected and in appearance imposing rather than attractive.
她并不如我相象的那么年轻,她的外表与其说是美貌动人,毋宁说是丰腴魁伟,气概非凡。
She was, in fact,
事实上,她,
a woman of forty (a charming age,
已有40岁了(这是一个有魅力的年龄,
but not one that excites a sudden and devastating passion at first sight),
但不是初次相见就能令你激情迸发、神魂颠倒的那种年纪),
and she gave me the impression of having more teeth,
给我的印象是,有一口大牙齿,
white and large and even,
洁白整齐而且很大,
than were necessary for any practical purpose.
其数目之多已超过了实际需要。
She was talkative,
她很健谈,
but since she seemed inclined to talk about me I was prepared to be an attentive listener.
不过因为她想谈的话题似乎关于我的事,所以我便洗耳恭听。
I was startled when the bill of fare was brought,
菜单拿来时,我大吃一惊。
for the prices were a great deal higher than I had anticipated.
价格比我预料的要高出许多。
But she reassured me.
但她的话使我宽了心。
"I never eat anything for luncheon," she said.
“我午餐从不吃什么东西。”她说。
"Oh, don't say that !" I answered generously.
“哦,可别这么说!”我慷慨地回答。
"I never eat more than one thing.
“我从来只吃一道菜。
I think people eat far too much nowadays.
我认为现在人们吃得太多。
A little fish, perhaps.
或许来点鱼还行。
I wonder if they have any salmon."
我不知道他们有鲑鱼没有。”
Well, it was early in the year for salmon and it was not on the bill of fare,
啊,吃鲑鱼的季节还没有到,菜单上也没有,
but I asked the waiter if there was any.
但是我还是问了侍者。
Yes, a beautiful salmon had just come in,
有,刚刚进了条头等到鲑鱼,
it was the first they had had.
这是他们今年第一次进这种货。
I ordered it for my guest .
我为客人叫了一份。
The waiter asked her if she would have something while it was being cooked.
侍者问她在鲑鱼烹制的当儿,要不要吃点别的。
"No," she answered,
“不要,”她回答说。
"I never eat more than one thing.
“我向来只吃一道菜,
Unless you have a little caviare.
除非你有鱼子酱。
I never mind caviare."
鱼子酱是我从不拒绝的。”
My heart sank a little.
我的心微微一沉。
I knew I could not afford caviare,
我知道我是吃不起鱼子酱的,
but I could not very well tell her that.
但我不便跟她直说。
I told the waiter by all means to bring caviare.
我吩咐侍者务必拿鱼子酱来。
For +myself I chose the cheapest dish on the menu and that was a mutton chop.
我自己则点了菜单上最便宜的一个菜,这就是羊排。
"I think you are unwise to eat meat," she said.
“我看你吃肉是不明智的,”她说。
"I don't know how you can expect to work after eating heavy things like chops.
“我不知道你吃了羊排这种油腻的东西后还怎么工作。
I don't believe in overloading my stomach."
我不赞成把肚子撑得太饱。”
Then came the question of drink.
接着而来的是饮料问题。
"I never drink anything for luncheon," she said.
“我午餐从不喝饮料。”她说。
"Neither do I," I answered promptly.
“我也是如此。”我马上答道。
"Except white wine,"
“但白葡萄酒例外,”
she proceeded as though I had not spoken.
她接着说,就好像我刚才没说似的。
"These French white wines are so light.
“法国的白葡萄酒非常清淡,
They're wonderful for the digestion."
十分有助于消化。”
"What would you like?" I asked,
“你想喝点什么?”我问道,
hospitable still, but not exactly effusive.
我依然客气,但算不上热情。
She gave me a bright and amicable flash of her white teeth.
她嫣然一笑,露出一口白牙。
"My doctor won't let me drink anything but champagne."
“我的医生只让我喝香槟。”
I fancy I turned a trifle pale.
我猜想我的脸色一定有点发白了。
I ordered half a bottle.
我要了半瓶,
I mentioned casually that my doctor had absolutely for bidden me to drink champagne.
顺便提及我的医生绝对禁止我喝香槟酒。
"What are you going to drink, then?"
“那你喝什么呢?”
"Water."
“水。”
She ate the caviare and she ate the salmon.
她吃了鱼子酱,又吃鲑鱼。
She talked gaily of art and literature and music.
她兴高采烈,大谈艺术、文学、音乐。
But I wondered what the bill would come to.
但我心里却在嘀咕,不知这顿饭要花多少钱。
When my mutton chop arrived she took me quite seriously to task.
当我的羊排上来时,她一本正经地教训起我来。
"I see that you're in the habit of eating a heavy luncheon.
“我看你习惯中午吃得很多。
I'm sure it's a mistake.
我肯定这样不好,
Why don't you follow my example and just eat one thing?
你为什么不效法我的样子,只吃一道菜呢?
I'm sure you'd feel ever so much better for it ."
我相信那样你会感觉好得多。”
"I am only going to eat one thing," I said,
“我打算只吃这一道菜。”我说。
as the waiter came again with the bill of fare.
这时侍者又拿着菜单走了过来。
She waved him aside with an airy gesture.
她轻轻手一挥,让他走开。
" No, no, I never eat anything for luncheon.
“我可不这样,我午餐从不吃东西。
Just a bite,
要吃,也只要稍许吃一点,
I never want more than that,
从不多吃。
and I eat that more as an excuse for conversation than anything else.
而我吃这么一点,主要也是为了借此机会闲谈而已。
I couldn't possibly eat anything more unless they had some of those giant asparagus.
我可不能再吃什么东西了,除非他们有那种大芦笋。
I should be sorry to leave Paris without having some of them."
到了巴黎,不吃点芦笋,那就太遗憾了。”
My heart sank. I had seen them in the shops,
我的心一沉。我曾在店里见过芦笋,
and I knew that they were horribly expensive.
我知道它贵得可怕。
My mouth had often watered at the sight of them.
过去我每见芦笋,常常馋涎欲滴。
"Madame wants to know if you have any of those giant asparagus," I asked the waiter.
“夫人想知道你们有没有那种大芦笋。”我问侍者。
I tried with all my might to will him to say no.
我竭尽全力想使他说没有。
A happy smile spread over his broad, priest -like face,
他那张宽阔的教士般虔诚的脸上展露出愉快的笑容,
and he assured me that had some so large,
他用肯定语气对我说,他们有又大、
so splendid, so tender,
又好、又嫩的芦笋,
that it was a marvel.
简直是罕见的珍品。
"I'm not in the least hungry," my guest sighed,
“我一点也不饿。”我的客人叹道。
"but if you insist I don't mind having some asparagus."
“不过如果你执意要请我吃,我也不反对吃点芦笋。”
I ordered them.
我便点了这道菜。
"Aren't you going to have any?"
“你不吃点吗?”
"No, I never eat asparagus."
“不,我从不吃芦笋。”
"I know there are people who don't like them.
“我知道有人不喜欢芦笋。
The fact is, you ruin your taste by all the meat you eat."
事实是,你吃肉太多,伤了胃口。”
We waited for the asparagus to be cooked.
我们等着芦笋烹制好送上来。
Panic seized me.
我突然惊恐起来。
It was not a question now how much money I should have left over for the rest of the month,
现在的问题已不是我还能剩下几个钱来维持这个月的生计了,
but whether I had enough to pay the bill.
而是我的钱够不够付帐。
It would be embarrassing to find myself ten francs short and be obliged to borrow from my guest.
要是我差十法朗,不得不向客人借的话,那就太难堪了。
I could not bring myself to do that.
我可做不出那样的事来。
I knew exactly how much I had,
身边到底有多少钱,我心里有底,
and if the bill came to more I made up my mind that I would put my hand in my pocket and with a dramatic cry start up and say it had been picked.
倘若帐单超过了这个数字,我就决心这么办:伸手往口袋里一摸,随即故意惊叫一声,跳起来说钱给小偷扒了。
Of course, it would be awkward if she had not money enough either to pay the bill.
当然,如果她的钱也不够付帐的话,那就尴尬了。
Then the only thing would be to leave my watch and say I would come back and pay later.
那样,唯一的办法就是将我的手表留下,言明以后再来付。
The asparagus appeared.
芦笋端上来了。
They were enormous, juicy, and appetising.
又大汁又多,令人垂涎不止。
I watched the wicked woman thrust them down her throat in large mouthfuls,
我一面看着这个邪恶的女人大口大口地将芦笋往肚里塞,
and in my polite way I spoke about the condition of the drama in the Balkans.
一面彬彬有礼地谈论着巴尔干半半岛戏剧界的现状。
At last she finished.
她终于吃完了。
"Coffee?" I said.
“喝点咖啡?”我说。
"Yes
 

相关内容

大学英语精读_双语4 (4)

   Unit Four 第四单元 Text 课文 Jim Thorpe, an American Indian, Jim Thorpe, 一个美国印地安人, is generally accepted as the greatest all-round athlete of the first half of the 20th century. 在前半个20世纪里,被认为是最伟大的万能运动员。 Yet the man, who brought glory to his nation, 就是那个人, ...

大学英语精读_双语4 (2)

   Unit Two 第二单元 Text 课文 Is there anything we can learn from deer? 我们能从鹿中学到一些东西吗? During the "energy crisis " of 1973-1974 the writer of this essay was living in northern Minnesota 在1973-1974年能量危机时期,这篇文章的作者正生活在明尼苏达州的北部, and was able to observ ...

大学英语精读_双语4 (9)

   Unit Nine 第九单元 Text 课文 In 1976, during America's bicetennial celebration, 1976年,在美国两百世纪庆典期间, a family decided to travel to the American West instead of joining the majority of people that were celebrating on the East Coast. 一个家庭决定到美国西部去旅行,而不加入在东海岸庆典 ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (8)

   Unit Eight 第八单元 A victim of an incurable disease,Stephen Hawking is almost completely paralysed, 一个无法治愈的疾病的受害者,Stephen Hawking 几乎完全的瘫痪了。 confined to a wheelchair,and unable to speak. 被限制在一个轮椅里,不能去说话。 Yet,he has overcome every obstacle and achieved f ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (2)

   Unit Two 第二单元 Beginning with the earliset pioneers, 从最早的先驱者开始, Americans have always highly valued their freedoms, and fought hard to protect them. 美国人已经有了很贵重的自由,他们为了保护它们努力地战斗。 And yet, the author points out that there is a basic freedom which Ameri ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (5)

   Unit Five 第五单元 As the author points out below, the success of science has less to do with a particular method than with an essential attitude of the scientist. 就像作者下面指出的一样,科学的成功很少是由于一个特别的方法,而是因为科学家的基本态度。 This attitude is essentially one of inquiry, ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (4)

   Unit Four 第四单元 As a black boy growing up in America in the early 1900s. 作为一个生在20世纪初的美国人 Richard Wright knew well the meaning of racial prejudice. 理查德.赖特很了解人类的偏见。 He was not allowed to play in a park or borrow books from a library. 他被拒绝在公园里玩和从图书馆借书。 ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (2)

   Unit Two 第二单 There is something fascinating about reading other people's mail if you are allowed to. 被允许读取别人的邮件是一件很吸引人的事情。 Here is your chance to read the letters of American writer Sylvia Plath, 这儿有一个机会来读一封美国作家西尔维亚.普莱思的信 which she wrote home to her ...

大学英语精读2_双语_(3)

   UNIT2- 3 lessons from jefferson Jefferson died long ago, but may of his ideas still of great interest to us. Lessons from Jefferson   Thomas Jefferson, the third President of the United States, may be less famous than George Washington and Abraham L ...

大学英语精读2 双语 (6)

   Unit six 第六课 Text 课文 A famous surgeon tells about the importance of self-confidence from his own experience. 一个著名的外科医生从他自己的经验中得知自信的重要性。 THE MAKING OF A SURGEON 外科医师的成功之道 Dr. Nolen 诺兰先生 How does a doctor recognize the point in time 一个医生怎要确认那一时刻 when ...

热门内容

中考英语冲刺缺词填空练习

   2010 年中考英语试题分类汇编(130 套)专题七 "缺词填空 年中考英语试题分类汇编( 专题七 " (2010 "江苏省镇江市,五,10) 根据短文内容及所给首字母提示写出所缺单词,并将完整单词写在答题卡对应题号的横线 上。 Some western countries insist that China is one of the world’s biggest greenhouse gas emitters (温室气体排放者). But in fact our government ...

牛津七年级英语试卷(至7AUnit

   牛津七年级英语试卷( 牛津七年级英语试卷(至 7AUnit 2) ) 一、听力(略) 听力( 从方框中选择最佳答案补全对话( 个空, 二、从方框中选择最佳答案补全对话(共 5 个空,每空 1 分,满分 5 分) A. I like playing volleyball B. Because I see the playground C. Yes, I do. D. I am in class1, Grade 7. E. Is it called A:Are you a new student ...

(自制)自学 英语二 书后单词03

   motion n. (物体的)运动,手势,动作,提议 vt.(向)打手势,示意 motivate vt. 作为...的动机,激发 motivation n. 动机,动力 motive n. 动机,目的 motor n. 发动机,发电机,机动车,汽车 mount n. 山,峰 mountain n. 山,(复)山脉 mouse n. 老鼠,鼠标 mouth n. 嘴,口 movement n. 运动,活动,移动,迁移 movie n. 电影 moving a. 活动的,移动的,动人的,令人感动的 ...

大学英语视听说(三)答案

   新视野大学英语视听说教程第三册录音文字和答案 Uint1 II. Basic Listening Practice 基础听力练习 1. Script W: Ok. It’s your turn to pay the bill. I paid last time. 这次轮到你付款了,上次是我付的。 M: What? You have a selective memory. You tried to pay last turn, but your credit card failed; so I ...

【强烈推荐】2010年12月大学英语四级考试真题(完整版)

   2010 年 12 月大学英语四级考试真题(完整版) 月大学 2010 年 12 月大学英语四级考试真题 Part I Writing (30 minutes) Directions:For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a short essay entitled How Should Parents Help Children to Be Independent? You should write at least 150 ...