Unit Two
第二单
There is something fascinating about reading other people's mail if you are allowed to.
被允许读取别人的邮件是一件很吸引人的事情。
Here is your chance to read the letters of American writer Sylvia Plath,
这儿有一个机会来读一封美国作家西尔维亚.普莱思的信
which she wrote home to her mother from a hotel where she had a summer job as a waitress.
这是当她暑假在一家饭店里当招待打工时给家里的母亲写的信。
At the time, she was a college student and was still at the start of her writing career.
在那个时候,他还是一个大学生,正处于她写作职业的开端。
Through the letters we learn of her changing thoughts and moods concerning work, boys and writing.
通过这封信,我们可以学到她对于工作,男孩,写作在思想和心情上的改变。
THE BEGINNING OF A CAREER
职业的开端
Sylvia Plath
西维
The Belmont Hotel ,Cape Cod June 11,1952
贝尔蒙特宾馆,1952年6月11日
Dear Mother,
亲爱的妈妈:
Your amazing telegram [telegram announcing 500 Mademoiselle prize for "Sunday at the Mintons," Which I forwarded]
你那份令我吃惊的电报,[宣布了由我转寄的<明顿家的星期天>、获得了<小姐>杂志五百元奖金。
came just as I was scrubbing tables in the shady interior of The Belmont dining room.
它正好是我在阴暗的贝尔蒙特餐厅洗餐桌时收到的
I was so excited that I screamed and actually threw my arms around the head waitress who no doubt thinks I am rather insane!
我非常激动,大声叫着,竟一把抱住了女服务员领班。毫无疑问,她一定认为我发疯了。
Anyhow, psychologically, the moment couldn't have been better.
不管怎样,从心理上讲,你的电报来得正是时候。
I felt tired one's first night's sleep in a new place never is peaceful and I didn't get much!
那时我觉得很累??人到一个新地方,第一夜总是睡不好的??而我就没有睡多少觉。
To top it off, I was the only girl waitress here,
更糟糕的是,我是这里唯一的女招待。
and had been scrubbing furniture,
一直要擦洗家具,
washing dishes and silver, lifting tables, etc. since 8 a.m. Also,
洗盘子和银餐具,搬桌子等, 从上午8点开始
I just learned since I am completely inexperienced,
我刚知道,因为我完全没有经验,
I am not going to be working in the main dining room,
将不会让我在正厅工作,
but in the "side hall" where the managers and top hotel brass eat.
而是让我在经理们和主管人员就餐的“侧厅”工作。
So, tips will no doubt net much less during the summer and the company be less interesting.
所有,这个暑假的小费毫无疑问会少得多,并且一起干活的伙伴缺乏风趣。
So I was beginning to worry about money when your telegram came. God!
我正开动为缺钱发愁时你的电报来了。上帝啊!
To think "Sunday at the Mintons" is one of two prize stories to be put in a big national slick!
想想看,《明顿家的星期天》竟是一家全国性通俗刊物的两篇获奖小说之一!
Frankly, I can't believe it!
说实话,我真地不敢相信!
The first thing I thought of was: Mother can keep her intersession money and buy some pretty clothes and a special trip or something!
我当时想到的第一件事是:妈妈可以将她要给我暑假用的钱留下,买些好衣服,进行一次特别旅游什么的。
At least I get a winter coat and extra special suit out of the Mintons.
至少我能够用《明顿家》获得的奖金买一件冬装和一套非常精美的衣服。
I think the prize is 500!
奖金有五百元之多啊!
ME! Of all people!....
这么多人中,获奖的竟是我!
So it's really looking up around here,
现在这里一切都好起来,
now that I don't have to be scared stiff about money...Oh,
因为我不必为钱担心了,……啊,
I say, even if my feet kill me after this first week, and I drop 20 trays,
即使这第一个星期之后我双脚疼得要命,即使摔破了二十个盘子
I will have the beach, boys to bring me beer, sun, and young gay companions. What a life.
我仍然会到海滩去,要侍者为我拿酒,要享受海边的阳光,要与年轻的伙伴同乐。多么美好的生活!
Love, your crazy old daughter.
爱你,你那发疯的女儿。
Sivvy
西维
June 12, 1952
1952年6月12日
No doubt after I catch up on sleep, and learn to balance trays high on my left hand,
毫无疑问,我睡足觉,学会用左手端稳高高的盘子后,
I'll feel much happier.
我会感到更高兴的。
As it is now, I feel stuck in the midst of a lot of loud,
现在实际上,我觉得自己陷入一伙闹哄哄、
brassy Irish Catholics, and the only way I can jolly myself is to say,
厚脸皮的爱尔兰天主教徒之中,无法脱身,而我能够自乐的唯一办法就是说:
"Oh, well, it's only for a summer, and I can maybe write about them all."
“嗯,只是一个夏天,而我还可以把他们写到我的小说里去呢。”
At least I've got a new name for my next protagonist Marley, a gabby girl who knows her way around but good.
至少,我已经为我的下一个主人公取了一个新名字??马莉,一个能说会道熟知人情世故的女孩,
The ratio of boys to girls has gotten less and less,
小伙子们与大姑娘的比例越来越小。
so I'll be lucky if I get tagged by the youngest kid here.
所以如果我被这儿哪个最年轻的小伙子追求的话,那我是很幸运的。
Lots of the girls are really wise, drinking flirts.
这里的很多女孩确实机灵,能喝酒,会调情卖俏。
As for me, being the conservative, quiet, gracious type,
而我因是那种保守、文静、优雅的女孩,
I don't stand much chance of dating some of the cutest ones...
所以不太可能和一些帅小伙子约会……
If I can only get "in" as a pal with these girls, and never for a minute let them know I'm the gentle intellectual type, it'll be O.K.
要是我能与这些女孩相处很好,作她们朋友而决不让她们知道我是个文雅的知识分子的话,那就好了。
As for the Mlle news, I don't think it's really sunk in yet.
对于《小姐》杂志那条消息,我还是感到不可理解。
I felt sure they made a mistake, or that you'd made it up to cheer me.
我曾经确信他们弄错了,或是你杜撰出来让我高兴的。
The big advantage will be that I won't have to worry about earning barely 300 this summer.
最大的好处将是我不必为这个夏天只能挣到300美金发愁了。
I would really have been sick otherwise.
不然的话,我会忧心忡忡的。
I can't wait till August when I can go casually down to the drug store and pick up a slick copy of Mlle, flip to the index, and see ME, one of two college girls in the U.S.!
我现在真是急不可耐地希望八月到来,到那时我可随意走进杂货店拿起一册漂亮的《小姐》杂志,赶快翻到索引部分,看到我,美国两名女大学生之一!
Really, when I think of how I started it over spring vacation,
真的,当我想起整个春假期间怎样着手写这篇小说。
polished it at school, and sat up till midnight in the Haven House kitchen typing it amidst noise and chatter,
在学校修改润色,在海文豪斯厨房喧闹的环境中熬夜打字到深夜的时候,
I can't get over how the story soared to where it did...
我真的无法相信这篇小说会获得如此大奖……
who really understand how terribly much it means as a tangible testimony that I have got a germ of writing abililty.
因为你能真正理解,它对我来说有多么重要的意义。它充分表明我有创作潜力。
The only thing, I probably won't have a chance to win Mlle again,
唯一的事就是我极有可能再也没有机会获得《小姐》杂志的大奖了。
so I'll try for a guest editorship maybe next year or my senior year, and set my sights for the Atlantic.
所以也许明年,也许在大四,我要努力争取做一名客座编辑,而且我的目标是要做《大西洋》月刊的客座编辑。
God,I'm glad I can talk about it with you probably you're the only outlet that I'll have that won't get tired of my talking about writing...
天哪,能和你谈论这事,我很高兴??很可能你是我拥有的唯一??一位不厌其烦地听我谈论写作的听众……
Speaking again of Henry and Liz,
再谈谈亨利和莉兹,
it was a step for me to a story where the protagonist isn't always ME,
它是我小说创作迈出的一步。故事中的主人公不再总是“我”,
and proved that I am beginning to use imagination to transform the actual incident.
它还证明我开始动用想象力来改变真事。
I was scared that would never happen, but I think it's an indication that my perspective is broadening.
我还真害怕过这事办不到,不过我想这表明我观察事物的能力在扩大。
Sometimes I think heck, I don't know why I didn't stay home all summer, writing,
有时我想??见鬼,我不知道我为何整个夏天不呆在家里写作、
doing physical science, and having a small part-time job.
学习自然科学,做一份兼职的小事。
I could "afford" to now, but it doesn't do much good to yearn about that, I guess.
我现“有能力”做到了,不过我想过于想得到这个并不一定是好事,
Although it would have been nice.
虽然这样做了会很好。
Oh well, I'll cheer up. I love you.
好啦,我会振作精神的,我爱你。
Your own Sivvy
你的西维
June 15, 1952
1952年6月12日
Dear Mother,
亲爱的妈妈,
... Do write me letters, Mommy,
妈妈,你一定要给我写信,
because I am in a very dangerous state of feeling sorry for myself...Just at present, life is awful.
因为我现在处在一种自惭形秽的危险状态……就眼下,生活糟透了。
Mademoiselle seems quite unreal, and I am exhausted, scared,
《小姐》获奖好象完全不是真的,我现在总的来说,情绪低落:疲惫、害怕、
incompetent, unenergetic and generally low in spirits...
无能、精力不济……
Working in side hall puts me apart, and I feel completely uprooted and clumsy.
在侧厅工作把我撇在一边,我感到孤立无援,非常尴尬。
The more I see the main hall girls expertly getting special dishes,
我越是看见正厅的女孩们熟练地准备特别的菜肴,
fixing shaved ice and fruit, etc.,the more I get an inferiority complex and feel that each day in side hall leaves me further behind...
做刨冰,水果等,就越是感到自叹不如,感到每天在侧厅工作使我大大落后了……
But as tempted as I am to be a coward and escape by crawling back home,
但是尽管我受到诱惑去当胆小鬼、爬回家去,
I have resolved to give it a good month's trial till July
  10...
我还决心试着干完这一个月??直到7月10日……
Don't worry about me, but do send me little pellers of advice now and then.
不要为我担心,不过请一定时常给我寄些简短的建议来。
June 24, 1952
1952年6月15日
...Last night I went on a "gang" birthday party at the "Sand Bar" where we sang and talked for a few hours.
……昨天晚上我到“桑德酒吧”参加了一个“同伙”生日聚会。
There were about forty of us kids from the hotel.
在哪儿我们唱啊、谈啊她几个小时。
I managed by some magic to get myself seated next to a fellow in his first year at Harvard Law and he was just a dear...
从宾馆我们去了大约四十个少男少女。受到某种魔力的驱使,我设法挨着一名哈佛法学院的一年级学生坐了下来??而且她的确招人喜爱……
The best part was when we came back.It was a beautiful clear starry night,
最好的时光是我们回来的时候。那是一个美丽、明净、星星满天夜晚,
and Clark went in to get me two of his sweaters to wear because it was cold,
因为天气冷,克拉克进屋去拿了两件毛衣让我穿,
and brought out a book of T.S. Eliot's poems.
还拿出了一本T?S?艾略特诗集。
So we sat on a bench where I could just barely read the print,
我们坐在一张我能够勉强看得清字的长凳上,
and he put his head in my lap and I read aloud to him for a while.
他把头靠在我的膝上,我给他念了一会儿诗。
Most nice.
真好。
The only thing is I am so inclined to get fond of someone who will do things with me like that
唯一的问题就是我非常容易爱上像这样和我一起欣赏诗歌的人了
always inclined to be too metaphysical and serious conversationally that's my main trouble...
??总是容易谈论非常抽象、严肃的话题??这就是我的主要问题……
So glad to hear the check from Mlle is real.
所以非常高兴听到《小姐》杂志的支票是真的。
I hardly could believe it.
我简直不敢相信。
Just now I am mentally so disorganized that I can't retain knowledge or think at all.
现在我的思绪混乱,所以完全记不住东西,也不能清楚考虑问题。
The
 

相关内容

大学英语精读_双语6 (2)

   Unit Two 第二单 There is something fascinating about reading other people's mail if you are allowed to. 被允许读取别人的邮件是一件很吸引人的事情。 Here is your chance to read the letters of American writer Sylvia Plath, 这儿有一个机会来读一封美国作家西尔维亚.普莱思的信 which she wrote home to her ...

大学英语精读_双语4 (7)

   Unit Seven 第七单元 Text 课文 A young man finds it very difficult to say no to a woman and as a result he gets into trouble. 一位年轻人发现对一个妇女说不太难了,结果他陷入困境。 The restaurant to which he has agreed to take his luncheon date is far too expensive for his small pock ...

大学英语精读_双语4 (9)

   Unit Nine 第九单元 Text 课文 In 1976, during America's bicetennial celebration, 1976年,在美国两百世纪庆典期间, a family decided to travel to the American West instead of joining the majority of people that were celebrating on the East Coast. 一个家庭决定到美国西部去旅行,而不加入在东海岸庆典 ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (1)

   Unit One 第一单元 The author is not a preacher, and yet he does deliver a kind of sermon here. 作者并不是一个传教士,然而他在这里却发表了一种友好的说教。 Who is his audience? 他的观众是谁? Interestingly, his audience is your teachers of Advanced English as a foreign language. 有趣地是,他的观众是你 ...

大学英语精读_双语4 (1)

   Unit One 第一单元 Text 课 Two college-age boys, 两个上大学的男孩, unaware that making money usually involves hard work, 没有意识到攒钱通常包括辛勤的工作, are tempted by an advertisement that promises them an easy way to earn a lot of money. 被一个承诺通过一个简单的方法可以攒很多钱的广告诱惑了。 The boys ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (7)

   Unit Seven 第七单元 Oliver Barrett IV, a Harvard student from a wealthy WASP family, fell in love with Jennifer, 奥利弗?巴雷特,出生于一个WASP的富裕家庭的哈佛大学学生,爱上了詹尼弗。 a Radcliff music major, daughter of a pastry chef of Italian descent. 一个Radcliff音乐的主修人,有着意大利血统的面粉糕点主厨的 ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (2)

   Unit Two 第二单元 Beginning with the earliset pioneers, 从最早的先驱者开始, Americans have always highly valued their freedoms, and fought hard to protect them. 美国人已经有了很贵重的自由,他们为了保护它们努力地战斗。 And yet, the author points out that there is a basic freedom which Ameri ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (5)

   Unit Five 第五单元 As the author points out below, the success of science has less to do with a particular method than with an essential attitude of the scientist. 就像作者下面指出的一样,科学的成功很少是由于一个特别的方法,而是因为科学家的基本态度。 This attitude is essentially one of inquiry, ...

大学英语精读2 双语 (6)

   Unit six 第六课 Text 课文 A famous surgeon tells about the importance of self-confidence from his own experience. 一个著名的外科医生从他自己的经验中得知自信的重要性。 THE MAKING OF A SURGEON 外科医师的成功之道 Dr. Nolen 诺兰先生 How does a doctor recognize the point in time 一个医生怎要确认那一时刻 when ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (5)

   Unit Five 第五课 If modern life is so wonderful, why do we feel so unhappy? 如果现代的生活是如此的精彩,为什么我们还不快乐呢? In the following article, the author suggests that though living standards have improved, 在下面的文章里,作者提出虽然生活水品提高了, we, rather than feeling content, neve ...

热门内容

大学英语2翻译答案

   Unit4 IX Translation Chinese to English 1. For most parents, the decision to send children abroad for study is made after careful thinking. They will try to have everything worked out before their children leave. 2. Jack has only been working for t ...

让歌声走进初中英语课堂

   让歌声走进初中英语课堂 海沧中学 李德焕 摘 要: 英语歌曲能激发学生的学习兴趣并唤起他们的参与意识,从而有助于增 强语感,提高英语水平。本文阐释了英语歌曲教学的理论依据,介绍了在英语教 学实践中运用歌曲的方法,还介绍了运用歌曲教学的建议及注意事项。 关键词:英语歌曲 理论依据 实践运用 教学建议 注意事项 关键词 近年来,随着英语理论的研究和探索,越来越多的国内外语言学家和外语教 师开始认识到,歌曲对少年儿童甚至成人的外语学习都有着不可忽视的作用。各 种教材,教学资料都运用到了歌曲教学,从 ...

黑龙江省哈尔滨市第162中学校(中学)2011届高三第三次模拟考试 英语

   哈尔滨市第 162 中学 2011 届高三第三次考试 英语试题 第一部分听力 第一节( 小题, 第一节(共 5 小题, 每小题 1.5 分, 满分 7.5 分) 听下面 5 段对话, 每段对话后有一个小题, 从题中所给的 A, B , C 三个选项中选出最佳 选项, 并标在试卷的相应位置。 听完每段对话后, 你都有 10 秒钟的时间来回答有关小题 和阅读下一小题。 每段对话仅读一遍。 1.Where will the man probably go ? A. To the shop B. T ...

2010年全国各地高考英语试题下载-湖南卷[Word解析版]

   嘉兴英语教学网 www.jxenglish.com 收集整理 欢迎使用 绝密★ 绝密★启封并使用完毕前 2010 高考真题精品解析 英语(湖南卷) 高考真题精品解析--英语 湖南卷) 英语( 【名师点评】 整套试卷突出了语言运用能力的考查.其中语言知识部分,15 道单项选择 题侧重动词和句法;动词方面,考查了动词时态,语态,语气,主谓一致,非谓 语动词,情态动词,可谓是涉及了动词方方面面的语法知识.句法方面,考查了 强调句型,定语从句,状语从句和名词性从句,考查面也很广.完形填空第一节 全部 ...

成人三级学位英语必考词汇表

   成 人 三 级 学 位 英 语 必 考 词 汇 表 subscribe accurate Supply advertisement Profit cartoon popular Glow Flame Lane Sleepy population explosion advance Social advanced encourage economist traditional Hasten research Typical interview resistance mention stabil ...