nded me the books.
我什么也没有说。她在借书证上盖了章,然后把书交给了我。
Not daring to glance at them, I went out of the library,
我连看都没敢看一眼借到的书就走出了图书馆,
fearing that the woman would call me back for further questioning.
生怕她会把我叫回去进一步地盘问。
A block away from the library I opened one of the books and read a title:
走出一个街区后我打开其中一本书,看了一下书名:
A Book of Prefaces.
《序言集》。
I was nearing my nineteenth birthday and I did not know how to pronounce the word "preface".
我马上就十九岁了,可我不知道怎样发“序言”这个词的音。
I thumbed the pages and saw strange words and strange names.
我用手指快速地翻着,看到了一些奇怪的词和句子。
I shook my head, disappointed.
我失望地摇了摇头。
I looked at the other book;
又去看另一本书。
it was called Prejudices, I knew what that word meant;
书名叫《偏见》。我知道这个词的含义。
I had heard it all my life.
我从小到大都一直在听到这个词。
And right off I was on guard against Mencken's books.
我由此一下子对门肯的书有了警觉。
Why would a man want to call a book Prejudices?
为什么一个人要把书名定为《偏见》呢?
The word was so stained with all my memories of racial hate that I could not conceive of anybody using it for a title.
这个词沾满了我对种族仇恨的所有记忆,我以致于无法想象会有人以它作为书名。
Perhaps I had made a mistake about Mencken?
也许我错看了门肯?
A man who had prejudices must be wrong.
一个带有偏见的人肯定是错的。
When I showed the books to Mr. Falk, he looked at me and frowned.
当我把书扔给福尔克先生看时,他望了望我皱起了眉头。
"That librarian might telephone you." I warned him.
“图书管理员可能会给你打电话的。”我先给他提个醒。
"That's all right," he said.
“这好办。”他说,
"But when you're through reading those books,
“但是当你读完这些书后,
I want you to tell me what you get out of them."
希望你能告诉我从中学到了些什么。”
That night in my rented room,
那天晚上,有租来的房间里,
while letting the hot water run over my can of pork and beans in the sink,
我让热水冲着洗碗池里的猪肉烧豆罐头,
I opened A Book of Prefaces and began to read.
一边打开那本《序言集》读了起来。
I was jarred and shocked by the style, the clear, clean, sweeping sentences.
我被书中的风格和它那干净、整齐,有力的句子给震惊了。
Why did he write like that?
他为什么要这样写呢?
And how did one write like that?
又是怎样象这样写成的呢?
I pictured the man as a raging demon, slashing with his pen,
我把他想象成一个凶狠的魔鬼一样,用手中的笔奋力进攻,
consumed with hate, denouncing everything American,
内心充满仇恨。对美国的一切进行抨击,
extolling everything European or German,
而又竭力称颂欧洲或德国的一切东西。
laughing at the weaknesses of people, mocking God, authority.
他嘲笑人性的弱点,嘲弄上帝和权威。
What was this?
这是怎么回事?
I stood up trying to realize what reality lay behind the meaning of the words...
我站起来,试图弄明白隐藏在字眼后面的实际情况。
Yes, this man was fighting, fighting with words.
是的,这个人一生在战斗,用他手中的笔作武器进行战斗。
He was using words as a weapon, using them as one would use a club.
他就象别人使用棍棒一样使用文字。
Could words be weapons? Well, yes, for here they were.
文字可以作为武器吗?是的,因为在这儿就是如此。
Then, maybe, perhaps, I could use them as a weapon?
那么,也许我也可以用它们来作武器?
No. It frightened me.
不,这种想法把我吓坏了。
I read on and what amazed me was not what he said,
我继续读了下去,让我吃惊的不是他说了些什么,
but how on earth anybody had the courage to say it.
而是居然会有人有勇气说这些话。
I ran across many words whose meanings I did not know,
我遇到了很多自己不知其意的词。
and I either looked them up in a dictionary or,
有些我查了字典,
before I had a chance to do that,
有些词还没等我去查,
encountered the word in a context that made its meaning clear.
就又遇见了,通过上下文词义清楚了。
But what strange world was this?
世界多么奇特啊!
I concluded the book with the conviction that I had somehow overlooked something terribly important in life.
看完书后我得出一个结论,那就是不知由于什么原因,自己忽视了生活中一些重要的东西。
I had once tried to write, had once reveled in feeling,
我曾经试过写作,也曾十分乐意去感受事物,
had let my crude imagination roam,
让我那淳朴的想象云游四方。
but the impulse to dream had been slowly beaten out of me by experience.
但人生的经历慢慢地磨灭了这些的冲动的梦想。
Now it surged up again and I hungered for books,
现在它又冒了出来。我渴望看书,
new ways of looking and seeing.
期待着新的观察和理解世界的方法。
It was not a matter of believing or disbelieving what I read,
这不是相信或不相信自己所读到的东西的问题,
but of feeling something new,
而是一种对新的东西的感受,
of being affected by something that made the look of the world different.
受到影响并使世界的面貌有的不同。
I forged more notes and my trips to the library became frequent.
我又造了一些假便条,到图书馆去的次数也更多了。
Reading grew into a passion.
读书成了我的一种爱好。
My first serious novel was Sinclair Lewis's Main Street.
我读的第一本严肃小说是辛克莱?刘易斯的《大街》。
It made me see my boss, Mr. Gerald,
它让我明白了自己的老板杰的尔德先生。
and identify him as an American type.
我发现到他是一个典型的美国人。
I would smile when I saw him lugging his golf bags into the office.
当我看到他拖着高尔夫球袋走进办公室时我总要笑。
I had always felt a vast distance separating me from the boss,
以前我一直觉得自己和老板间距离很远,
and now I felt closer to him, though still distant.
现在我感到离他近多了,尽管还有一定的距离。
I felt now that I knew him,
我感到自己真正认识了他,
that I could feel the very limits of his narrow life.
我能够感到他的生活圈子小,具有局限性。
And this had happened because I had read a novel about a mythical man called George F. Babbitt.
因为我读了一本写一个虚构的人物乔治?F?巴比特的小说才有这番变化的。
I read Dreiser's Jennie Gerhardt and Sister Carrie and they revived in me a vivid sense of my mother's suffering;
我读了德莱塞的《珍尼?格哈特》和《嘉莉妹妹》。它们使我又一次真切地感受到了母亲所遭受的苦难。
I was overwhelmed.
我完全沉浸在书中了。
I grew silent, wondering about the life around me.
我变得沉默起来,思考着周围的生活。
It would have been impossible for me to have told anyone what I derived from these novels,
我不可能告诉任何人自己从小说中有什么收获,
for it was nothing less than a sense of life itself.
因为那正是对生活自身的感受。
All my life had shaped me for the realism,
生活的经历使得我喜欢现代小说中的现实主义,
the naturalism of the modern novel,
自然主义,
and I could not read enough of them.
这些小说中我百读不厌
Steeped in new moods and ideas, I brought a ream of paper and tried to write;
我沉浸在新的思想和情绪之中。买了一令纸,我试着写作。
but nothing would come, or what did come was flat beyond telling.
可有时我什么也写不出来,有时写出的东西又极为乏味。
I discovered that more than desire and feeling were necessary to write and I dropped the idea.
我发现写作所需要的不仅仅是愿望和感情,于是便放弃了这种想法。
Yet I still wondered how it was possible to know people sufficiently to write about them?
但我仍想弄明白怎样才能充分地了解以便能够把他们写出来。
Could I ever learn about life and people?
我能否真正理解人和生活呢?
To me, with my vast ignorance, my Jim Crow station in life,
对我为说,由于自己完全无知和作为黑人在社会中的地位。
it seemed a task impossible of achievement.
这似乎是一个可望而不可及的目标。
I now knew what being a Negro meant.
我现在明白了作为一个黑人到底意味着什么。
I could endure the hunger.
我能够忍受饥饿,
I had learned to live with hate.
也能面对被仇恨的现实。
But to feel that there were feelings denied me,
但感觉到自己连某些感情的东西都得不到,
that the very breath of life itself was beyond my reach,
就连生活中最基本的东西对我来讲也以难以获取,
that more than anything else hurt, wounded me.
这一点比其他任何东西都令我伤心。
I had a new hunger.
我有了一种新的渴望。
 

相关内容

大学英语精读_双语6 (4)

   Unit Four 第四单元 As a black boy growing up in America in the early 1900s. 作为一个生在20世纪初的美国人 Richard Wright knew well the meaning of racial prejudice. 理查德.赖特很了解人类的偏见。 He was not allowed to play in a park or borrow books from a library. 他被拒绝在公园里玩和从图书馆借书。 ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (1)

   Unit One 第一单元 Writing research reports for college or work is often found far more difficult than it needs to be. 为学习或工作写调查报告通常会比它所需要的要困难得多。 The following article offers some excellent advice on how to make the task easier and the report more impre ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (2)

   Unit Two 第二单 There is something fascinating about reading other people's mail if you are allowed to. 被允许读取别人的邮件是一件很吸引人的事情。 Here is your chance to read the letters of American writer Sylvia Plath, 这儿有一个机会来读一封美国作家西尔维亚.普莱思的信 which she wrote home to her ...

大学英语精读_双语4 (6)

   Unit Six 第六单元 Text 课文 "Don't ever mark in a book!" 不要在书上作标记! Thousands of teachers, 成千上万的老师, librarians and parents have so advised. 图书管理员和父母亲都如此建议。 But Mortimer Adler disagrees. 但是Mortimer Adler 不同意。 He thinks so long as you own the book ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (4)

   Unit Four 第四单元 Romance, betrayal, intrigue and tragedy--the making of a fascinating novel--are all there in The Gadfly. 浪漫,背叛,阴谋和悲剧,构成了一部着魔的小说,所有这些都在牛虻中有。 Ethel Voynich's first novel, The Gadfly came out in 1897 and became one of the most widely rea ...

大学英语精读_双语4 (9)

   Unit Nine 第九单元 Text 课文 In 1976, during America's bicetennial celebration, 1976年,在美国两百世纪庆典期间, a family decided to travel to the American West instead of joining the majority of people that were celebrating on the East Coast. 一个家庭决定到美国西部去旅行,而不加入在东海岸庆典 ...

大学英语精读_双语4 (1)

   Unit One 第一单元 Text 课 Two college-age boys, 两个上大学的男孩, unaware that making money usually involves hard work, 没有意识到攒钱通常包括辛勤的工作, are tempted by an advertisement that promises them an easy way to earn a lot of money. 被一个承诺通过一个简单的方法可以攒很多钱的广告诱惑了。 The boys ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (3)

   Unit Three 第三单元 Are we humans alone in the universe? 我们人类在宇宙中孤独吗? Or is there intelligent life on other planets? 在其它的行星上有智慧生物吗? These questions are not new. 这些不是新问题 What is new, however, is the scientific attempt to discover whether or not other pla ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (5)

   Unit Five 第五课 If modern life is so wonderful, why do we feel so unhappy? 如果现代的生活是如此的精彩,为什么我们还不快乐呢? In the following article, the author suggests that though living standards have improved, 在下面的文章里,作者提出虽然生活水品提高了, we, rather than feeling content, neve ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (7)

   Unit Seven 第七课 It is often said that cats have nine lives, 通常说猫有九条命。 that they are lucky enough to escape from danger again and again. 他们能幸运的一次又一次的逃离危险。 Here is a science fiction tale about how one such lucky escape by a cat led to a discovery that ...

热门内容

《 新编英语教程3 》教学大纲

   百度文库专用 百度文库专用 基础英语 《 基础英语 III 》教学大纲 课程名称:基础英语 III 英文课程名称:Intensive English 课程类别:专业必修课 适用专业:英语语言文学 总学时数:144 学分数:8 执笔者: 外国语学院 周世培 编写日期:2006 年 8 月 6 日 课程的性质和任务 一、 课程的性质和任务 本课程是英语本科的一门限定必修课。 本课程的任务在于传授系统的基础语言知识(包括语音、语法、词汇与篇章的 结构、语言功能等),训练基本语言技能(听、说、读、写 ...

考研英语小作文?书信类八大模板练习题

   考研英语小作文?书信类八大模板练习题 考研英语小作文 书信类八大模板练习题 1:投诉信 Dear, I am . (自我介绍) I feel bad to trouble you but I am afraid that I have to make a complaint about. The reason for my dissatisfaction is (总体介绍). In the first place,(抱怨的第一个方面). In addition, (抱怨的第二个方面). Un ...

摄影测量与遥感学英语词汇

   摄影测量与遥感学英语词汇 001 摄影测量学 photogrammetry 002 卫星摄影测量 satellite photogrammetry 003 摄影学 photography 004 航天摄影 space photography 005 航空摄影 aerial photography 006 航空摄影机 aerial camera 007 立体摄影机 stereocamera, stereometric camera 008 非量测摄影机 non-metric camera 00 ...

杂七杂八【资料】高一英语导学提纲(一)_整理

   杂七杂八的资料,一起整理都上传了 历史无声走,潮流滚滚来。(五言律绝?潮流) 闭月偷偷乐,泥牛不进村。(五言律绝?月黄昏) 雾里看花花看月,云中游月月游云。(七言律绝?迷离境) 人遇万难何所惧,心中不灭夜明灯。(七言律诗?心灯不灭) 空山松子悄悄落,黑白盘中局局迷。(七言律绝?烂柯山悟道) [ ]: [did] [it] [ i:zi] [ litl] [bi gin] six little babies, a busy Sunday, in the middle of the city, ...

牛津英语7B 词组

   牛津英语 7B UNIT 1 词组 1.dream homes 2. live in a palace / next to a restaurant 3. learn about the homes in different countries 4. countries and capitals 5. the capital of … 6.homes around the world 7. the home pages of four foreign students 8. sit on t ...