Unit Nine
第九课
"Every cloud has a silver lining," says the optimist.
乐观者说:每片云彩都有一线希望。
It follows naturally, then,
那么自然也有
that the pessimist must favor "looking for the rusty lining".
悲观者支持寻找生绝望。
Just as the optimist can always find reasons for hoping that bad situations can improve,
就像乐观者总是想找个理由希望坏的情况会被改善。
so the best pesssimist can always find that in every situation there is something you can always worry about.
而悲观者却总是想在第件事中寻找值行担心的事。
In the essay, the author a self-proclaimed pessimist,
在这个短文里,作者,一个自称的乐观主义者
claims to be worried about being swallowed by things from outer space and about much else besides.
宣称会担心被来自外太空的东西吞没掉,和担心其它的一些东西。
He certainly seems to be what is known as "a born worrier",
他的确似乎被称为天生的担忧者。
though how serious he is about it all you can judge for yourself.
所以对于他有多么的严重,你只能通过自已来判断
LOOK FOR THE RUSTY LINING
寻求阴暗面
Ralph Schoenstein
拉尔夫?什恩斯坦
My grandfather's hobby was worrying,
发愁是我祖父的癖好。
and although hobbies are not usually thought of as being inheritable,
尽管业余爱好通常被认为是不能遗传的,
I am a talented worrier, too.
但我也是个才气横溢的爱发愁的人。
My grandfather's glum genes,
我的父亲的忧愁基因
which skipped my merry father,
它跳过了我乐观的父亲,
have reflowered in me as a major, all-purpose anxiety.
而在我身上成了主要因素,时时担忧。
A few weeks ago, for example,
比如说吧,几星期前,
I learned that collapsing stars called black holes may soon suck up all the matter in the universe.
我得知那些即将崩溃的恒星会很快吞食掉宇宙中存在的一切物质。
Because I read this in Vogue,
因为我读了时尚杂志
I hoped at first that the black holes were some kind of fad
我开始希望这个黑洞是一种时尚,一个天上流行的事情,
a celestial pop event like Kohoutek or UFOs but then I saw that the author of the article had been twice a visiting member at the Institute for Advanced Study,in present,
如科胡特克彗星和UFO,但是后来,我看见文章的作者拜访了二次高级研究机构,现在,
and I knew that another crisis was at hand.
我明白了又一种危机迫在眉睫了。
Ominously, the Institute is just down the street from where I do my worrying.
因为我现在的担忧之处很不幸地就在该研究院不远处的街上。
The end of the universe should have been a splendid challenge for a gifted worrier like me,
宇宙要完结了,这本来可激起一种极好的挑战,特别对于我这种天才的发愁者来说,
but mostly it upset me in a new and worrisome way,
但是它这次却主要采取了一种新的,令人忧虑的方式,使得我不安。
because it made me realize that I was spread too thin.
因为它使我意识到自己的忧愁太多了,
When I found the black-hole story,
在黑洞文章之前,
I hadn't nearly come to the end of an earlier wonderful worry of mine about the polar ice cap melting and raising the level of the Atlantic Ocean enough to submerge the entire East Coast.
我还没有来的急从早先的当心两极冰帽融化,大西洋水位要长高并逐步淹没整个东海岸中抽身出来。
I had been thinking of moving my family to Saskatchewan,
我一直在盘算把家搬到萨斯卡切温,
but now that I was falling behind in my worrying,
但现在我的发愁已远远落后于当今形势
I had to worry if Saskatchewan might be tastier for a black hole than Princetion.
我不得不担心是否萨斯卡彻温会比普林斯顿更能吸引黑洞的注意。
On the other hand, Princeton was closer to those African killer bees that have been inexorably moving north form Brazil the ones that made me decide not to visit Central America last winter.
另一方面,普林斯顿离那些非洲杀人蜂更近。这些毒蜂从巴西一直顽固地向北面逼近,使得我决定去年冬天不到中美洲访问。
The bees are getting very close to Central America,
毒蜂们越来越逼近中美洲,
and Panama may be the only place where there is a chance to turn them back.
这样巴拿马可能成了唯一能把毒蜂挡回去的地方。
Of course, even if it had only butterflies,
当然,即使巴拿马那里光是蝴蝶,
Panama would still be a worrisome vacation spot for me,
它作为度假地来说仍然令我担忧,
because it is said to be reddled with as much anti-American feeling as Boston.
因为那儿和波士顿一样满是反美的情绪。
In these terrible days,
在这段糟糕的日子里,
I often think of my grandfather,
我经常想到祖父。
who was a nervous wreck in a simpler and happier time.
他生活的时代比现代要单纯幸福得多,也紧张得神经近乎崩溃。
His worries were transient and nicely manageable:
他的忧愁稍纵即逝,易于对会:
When would Mel Ott start hitting again?
何时梅尔?奥茨会开始重新击球得分?
When would Eleanor Roosevelt collapse from too much traveling around?
何时埃琳诺?罗斯福会因为四处旅行过多而身体垮掉?
When would the Third Avenue "L" rust away?
何时第三条大街上的高架铁路桥会生锈烂掉?
I miss him, but he is lucky not to be alive and worrying today.
祖父真幸运,没有活在当今世界里去处处发愁。
I don't know he could have handled all the terrors that keep testing my sanity;
我想念他,但我却一直在考验我的理智,
he might even have surrendered and become an optimist,
他甚至可能屈服,成为一个乐观的人。
thus forfeiting the hobby he loved.
这样放弃心爱的嗜好。
He was my inspiration when I was a boy a worrier to look up to.
祖父令人敬仰的发愁者。当我是个小孩子时,
He used to visit me in my room,
他过去常到房间里去看我,
where he would examine my homework and then shake his head and say,
在那儿检查我的功课,然后摇摇头说,
"You'll never get through medical school with spelling like this."
“拼写成你这个样子,万万不可能坚持读写医学院了。”
"But these are brand-new words," I would tell him in a worried way.
“这些单词对我来说太陌生了,”我会很着急地对他说。
"Spelling is harder this year than it was in the second grade."
“和二年级的比起来,今年的拼写难多了。”
He would sigh and say, "I don't know. I'm not even sure you should be a doctor at all.
他会叹气着说:“我搞不清楚。我甚至不能肯定你是否应该当名医生。
I just read that they have the highest rate for dropping dead."
据说医生拥有最高的突然死亡率,这个我刚刚看过。”
My grandfather's quaint worries about me and Mel Ott and Eleanor Roosevelt are enough to make a contemporary worrier weep with envy.
祖父担心我,担心梅尔?奥茨,担心埃琳诺?罗斯福,他这些奇怪的忧虑足够让同时代的发愁者们羡慕得掉泪。
I wonder what he would have done if he had read a recent prediction by Gunnar Myrdal that the American economy could utterly collapse within five years
我真想知道,如果他看到了冈纳.默德尔作出的新预测,美国经济会在五年之内全盘崩溃。会如何反应
just before the Eastern tidal wave but shortly after the arrival of the bees.
也就是在东部海啸之前,毒蜂们抵达后不久
Perhaps he would have adopted something like my own advanced worrying posture and learned to make room for each new worry by letting it trump one of the old ones.
也许他会模仿我的先进的发愁姿态,学会采取用新忧覆旧愁的方法来为新愁挪出地方。
For example, when I read about the inundation of the East
比如:我对东部将被淹没的忧虑,
I forgot about my overdue Bloomingdle's bill;when I read Gunnar Myrdal's warning I decided to stop worrying about what would happen if Connecticut ever ran out of antiques.
挤掉了我过去担忧的拖欠已久的布鲁明代商场帐单的位置;而冈纳?默德尔的警告则挤掉了我对康涅狄格州的古董被搞光了后该如何的担忧;
When I heard about the bees I eased off my worry about a root canal of mine and let the Panama Canal replace it on the Top Twenty.
我听到的毒蜂消息则减轻了我对自己牙髓管的担心。这样使得巴拿马运河取代了其位置而跻身于我二十大忧愁之无列。
What a list!
多么丰富的一份忧愁单啊!
Something old and something new, something cosmic yet something trivial too,
我的忧愁有旧的,也有新的;既有事关宇宙的,也有微不足道的,
for the creative worrier must forever blend the pedestrian with the immemorial.
把平凡的忧愁和古老的忧愁有机地结合在一块儿,
If the sun burns out, will the Mets be able to play their entire schedule at night?
梅茨棒球队在太阳灭了的情况下能在夜间打完所有预定的比赛吗?
If cryogenically frozen human beings are ever revived,
复活了的低温冷冻人
will they have to register to vote?
需要重新登记去参加选举吗?
And if the little toe disappears,
三分球在没有小脚趾的情况下,
will field goals play a smaller part in the National Football League?
能继续在全国足球联赛中发挥这么大的作用吗?
Actually, I've never had a worry as worrisome as the universe-destroying black holes.
以毁灭宇宙的黑洞带给我的忧愁程度,实质上是我以前所有的忧愁无法带来的。
I mean, the universe is where I do all my worrying,
我的意思是让我置身其中作出了一切忧愁的宇宙,
and if it suddenly disappears I may not be able to relocate.
如果忽然没有了,我的家也再没办法安顿了。
My only hope comes from a first principle of worry that I have learned in a lifetime of anxiety;
我担忧了一辈子,学到了关于发愁的第一原理,这可能是我唯一希望的源泉了。
i.e., some of the biggest problems are half of a self-cancelling pair.
这一原理就是:一些最严重的问题往往是相互抵销的一对问题中的一个。
A nice example is that dreaded polar ice cap,
这儿有一个很好的例子:对于可怕的极地冰帽,
which some scientists say isn't starting to melt at all but instead will shortly begin to enlarge rapidly,
有的科学家说它不仅没融化,反而很快会开始增大,
giving birth to a new ice age that soon will cover the entire United States.
一直到盖住整个美国,产生一个新的冰河时期。
I worried about this ice layer from last February 9th until about Labor Day,
这一冰层,我是从2月9号开始忧虑的,到劳动节左右,就被挤得只剩下冰场大小了,
by which time my worry about the price of bottom round had reduced it to the size of a rink.
这是我那时对圆腿牛肉底部的价格担忧所造成的。
Lately, however, I have turned my mind back to the ice again,
但是,近来我又重新重视冰层起来。
and I have been worrying about the fact that you cannot have ice that is growing and melting at the same time.
冰层是不可能同时既增大又融化的,这是我的担忧所在。
One of these terrors is a dud,
必有一种情况是假的,
and the job of the dedicated worrier is to find out which one it is.
是哪一种呢?一个热忱的忧愁者必须找出这个答案。
Applying this principle to the black holes,
同一原理应用到黑洞上的话,
I wonder if there may not be some white holes in space as well pretty,
那么是否存在某种黑洞的对立面??白洞呢?
glowing things that won't digest a universe but may prefer to spit it out again.
它们可能是一些存在于宇宙空间中的漂亮的发光的物体。它们不会象黑洞一样吞掉宇宙,相反地,却很乐意把宇宙全吐出来。
All I need is a new flash from the Institute about one of these,
只要研究院能发表一则有关白洞情况的新的简短消息,我就能消除掉对黑洞的担忧。这正是我目前所需要的一切。
and then perhaps I will be able to start worrying about chinch bugs and the male menopause and all the other gentle terrors my grandfather could endorse.
这样的话,我就可能会开始担忧麦虱,男性绝经期和所有其他祖父会认可的温和和恐怖了。
Is that the right way to spell "chinch bugs"?
这样拼写“麦虱”对吗?
 

相关内容

大学英语精读_双语6 (1)

   Unit One 第一单元 Writing research reports for college or work is often found far more difficult than it needs to be. 为学习或工作写调查报告通常会比它所需要的要困难得多。 The following article offers some excellent advice on how to make the task easier and the report more impre ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (2)

   Unit Two 第二单 There is something fascinating about reading other people's mail if you are allowed to. 被允许读取别人的邮件是一件很吸引人的事情。 Here is your chance to read the letters of American writer Sylvia Plath, 这儿有一个机会来读一封美国作家西尔维亚.普莱思的信 which she wrote home to her ...

大学英语精读_双语4 (5)

   Unit Five 第五单元 Text 课文 Is it ever proper for a medical doctor to lie to his patient? 体格检查的医生对病人撒谎是对的吗? Should he tell a patient he is dying? 医生是否应该告诉病人他将要死了呢? These questions seem simple enough, 这些问题看起来似乎很简单, but it is not so simple to give a satisf ...

大学英语精读_双语4 (8)

   Unit Eight 第八单元 Text 课文 Would you choose to live underground if you could gain many advantages from doing so? 你是否选择住在地下,如果它能给你带来很多优点? Weather would no longer trouble you. 天气不再麻烦胶你。 Temperature would remain the same all the year round. 整年里,气温都保持相同。 A ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (4)

   Unit Four 第四单元 Romance, betrayal, intrigue and tragedy--the making of a fascinating novel--are all there in The Gadfly. 浪漫,背叛,阴谋和悲剧,构成了一部着魔的小说,所有这些都在牛虻中有。 Ethel Voynich's first novel, The Gadfly came out in 1897 and became one of the most widely rea ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (1)

   Unit One 第一单元 The author is not a preacher, and yet he does deliver a kind of sermon here. 作者并不是一个传教士,然而他在这里却发表了一种友好的说教。 Who is his audience? 他的观众是谁? Interestingly, his audience is your teachers of Advanced English as a foreign language. 有趣地是,他的观众是你 ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (7)

   Unit Seven 第七单元 Oliver Barrett IV, a Harvard student from a wealthy WASP family, fell in love with Jennifer, 奥利弗?巴雷特,出生于一个WASP的富裕家庭的哈佛大学学生,爱上了詹尼弗。 a Radcliff music major, daughter of a pastry chef of Italian descent. 一个Radcliff音乐的主修人,有着意大利血统的面粉糕点主厨的 ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (2)

   Unit Two 第二单元 Beginning with the earliset pioneers, 从最早的先驱者开始, Americans have always highly valued their freedoms, and fought hard to protect them. 美国人已经有了很贵重的自由,他们为了保护它们努力地战斗。 And yet, the author points out that there is a basic freedom which Ameri ...

大学英语精读2 双语 (6)

   Unit six 第六课 Text 课文 A famous surgeon tells about the importance of self-confidence from his own experience. 一个著名的外科医生从他自己的经验中得知自信的重要性。 THE MAKING OF A SURGEON 外科医师的成功之道 Dr. Nolen 诺兰先生 How does a doctor recognize the point in time 一个医生怎要确认那一时刻 when ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (5)

   Unit Five 第五课 If modern life is so wonderful, why do we feel so unhappy? 如果现代的生活是如此的精彩,为什么我们还不快乐呢? In the following article, the author suggests that though living standards have improved, 在下面的文章里,作者提出虽然生活水品提高了, we, rather than feeling content, neve ...

热门内容

我学英语的

   我学英语的“诀窍 我学英语的 诀窍” 诀窍 常有人问我:学英语有什么诀窍?说老实话,要想掌握一种语言,在缺乏必要的语言环境的条件下,实在 没有什么捷径可走。 概括起来,只有四个字:下苦功夫。我这绝对不是随便说说漂亮话而已。 凭我这几年学习英语的体 会,只有日积月累,通过量变,才有可能实现质的飞跃。记得曾经有一段时间,在下了一番苦功夫之后, 我仍感到自己的英语水平提高的太慢,于是就故意放松了几天。谁知等到再从新开始学习时,才明显的感 觉到自己退步了许多。从那以后,我就给自己制定了这样一条座右铭 ...

英语语法

   2010 泰州市中考英语语法集训 100 题(含答案) 1. It's very kind A. for, of exact number. A. hundred A. I mustn't every day. A. would A. need be A. I've been told finished it. A. has written A. smoking A. to sit A. each A. looked for A. if we have B. wrote B. to smok ...

英语励志文

   一、THE SIGNIFICANCE OF FAILURE Robert H. Schuller Failure doesn t mean you are a failure, It does mean you haven t succeeded yet. Failure doesn t mean you have accomplished nothing, It does mean you have learned something. Failure doesn t mean ...

“过程?体裁”写作法在高中 英语教学中的运用

   "过程 体裁"写作法在高中 过程?体裁 过程 体裁" 英语教学中的运用 You can't teach a new mouse old clicks. 瑞安市教育局教研室 潘云梅 2007年3月 年 月 一 ,"过程-体裁"写作法的理论依 过程 体裁" 体裁 据 高中英语课程改革的要求 (1)教学目的:表述事实,观点,情感,想象 )教学目的:表述事实,观点,情感, 交流信息,培养规范的写作习惯. 力,交流信息,培养规范的写作习惯. ...

英语数字短语

   1.one-horse town--乡村小镇. 这一短语源自美国,由小镇仅拥有一匹马而来.由此引申,one-horse 现在可以表示 "极 小的,简陋的,次要的" 意思,如 one-horse show(小型展览会) . 由 one 组合成的习语.而又毫无 "一" 这一含义的习 语还有: (1) He was one too many for me. 我不是他的对手. (2) Number one -- 自己. 由此而衍生 to look after ...